Tuesday, January 02, 2007

But Mo Cheeks won a championship and helped that li'l girl in Portland.

See, I was with him right up until I read this and noticed the Sixers beat the Nuggets tonight in Denver, which is kind of funny.

From the AP. Ugh:

Allen Iverson didn't wait for tip-off to start taking shots against his former team.

Iverson leveled a new round of criticism at the Philadelphia 76ers on Tuesday, hours before he faced them for the first time since his blockbuster trade to Denver two weeks ago.

Iverson said he felt a player of his stature and tenure should have been listened to when he criticized the Sixers' style of play last month, a condemnation that led to his departure from Philadelphia after 10 tumultuous seasons.

"Just to hear me out. I think any coach would, and any organization would," Iverson said. "... When you're losing basketball games, 12 of 14, 18 of 20 basketball games, you should listen to somebody because something obviously isn't working."

Iverson said that he didn't think moving Sixers' swingman Andre Iguodala to point guard was very wise.

"I thought Andre's playing the point guard position wasn't the right move for us and that team that we had. They wanted to do that and I didn't feel like that was helping us win. We were losing basketball games," Iverson said. "Andre Miller is a better fit at point guard for that team. He was put directly into that position. They felt I couldn't get that job done there. But I'm pretty sure I can get it done here."

Iverson said he wouldn't greet Sixers coach Maurice Cheeks before or after the game at the Pepsi Center, either.

"I don't feel like I have a need to. It is something that I don't want to do. For what?" Iverson said. "I don't have no beef with him. I don't feel it is necessary for me to go out of my way to speak to anybody. The trade is done. But things still linger.

"I still feel bitter about the way things happen. It didn't have to happen like that and I think I deserve a lot more respect than what I got. Those people had the chance to give me the respect I deserved and they weren't willing to do that. So why I should I try to give any respect back?"

Iverson said he hadn't spoken with Cheeks since he was traded to the Nuggets for Miller, Joe Smith and two 2007 first-round picks. The Nuggets also got Ivan McFarlin, who was waived.

"I haven't anything to say to Mo," Iverson said. "Or to my teammates. I miss them. I never had any problem with any of those guys. None of them on the whole roster. ... I never expected Billy (King, the Sixers' team president) to let it happen the way it happened. I never expected Mo to let it happen."

No comments: